Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Embeded Systems

'
I've been experimenting recently with a number of embeded router/firewall OS's in the hope of finding something that can easily handle the following tasks:

a) IPSEC Tunnel into my work network, for VoIP, Email and Access to the systems there.
b) Port forwarding, NAT, UPnP (for the families computers connected on the network)
c) Load Balancing over 2 WAN connections
d) Download limiting, something with a built in user-manager.
e) Future allowance for hosting my own wireless hotspot off this. (So long as I upgrade to a SOHO or Business Internet connection)

Of the ones I've tested (M0n0wall, pfSense, RouterOS) RouterOS is the costliest, but also the most open in terms of configuration.

That and they've currently started making a built in usermanager openly available.
I'm currently testing it with a couple of monthly limits for my brother (or bothers ;-) who are using my connection at home. This way they get a limited amount for the month, and can checkup on it at any time.
For the moment, I plan on just getting the user management setup correctly so they can continue using. (Rate limiting applied of course!)

After I'm comfortable that its all working I shall start work on setting up the load balancing to here.

No comments: