Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Google Apps and Me

I've been using google apps for some of my personal sites for quite a while and finally got the chance to roll it out for a Business site today.

The Owners of North Coast Joinery were previously paying for a single page to be hosted along with a single email account. Changing over to involved retrieving the domain key from their old hostee, and logging into MelbourneIT to re-delegate the site. Soon as this was done, the site that I'd already prepared on my virtual host server was able to be verified with google, along with the mail system (requires you to set some MX records for your domain)

Google allows me to have 100 users on the free version and I'd say the only thing that I don't like about it at the moment is that users manually have to go in and enable pop access for their account. On the other hand, it forces them to go to the webmail page which means they know there's an alternate method of access if for any reason their computer isn't working.

Setting up email aliases is easy too, google refers to them as nicknames and email lists.
So all in all for something I'm getting for free, I just can't fault it.

the page is accessable via www.google.com./a/ go ahead.. do like me and not only save yourself money on email hosting.. but learn something while you're at it.

No comments: